— Overview —
- 2,410 +/- acre historic quail plantation in the Tallahassee/Thomasville Red Hills Plantation Belt
- Located in northeast Leon County, Florida
- Bordering Valhalla Plantation, south of Woodfield Springs, and west of Ring Oak Plantation
- 30+/- acre Cody Lake
- 35+/- acre duck pond "Chemonie Lake" with walk out blinds
- Several other ponds and beautiful hardwood drains
- Extensively managed for quail; all wild birds since around 1940
- Horse stables
- 7,000 square foot main house overlooking Cody Lake
- Gated entrance and paved drive to main house
- Dogtrot style guest house adjacent to main house with four separate bed/bath suites
- Newly built manager's house on Cody Lake
- Three additional employee houses
- Plantation office and headquarters
- Equipment barn, three grain bins
- Great deer, turkey, and duck
- Located on a protected canopy road, designated as one of the country's most scenic roadways
- Approximately half of the property is protected by a conservation easement with Tall Timbers; however, due to its Leon County address we are confident if a conservation easement were placed on the remaining acreage it would yield one of the highest diminutions of value of any plantation in the Red Hills. We cannot emphasize this enough. Please contact our office for more details.
Historically Part of the Ireland/Ingalls Family Holdings;
Undoubtedly the Finest Assemblage of Plantations in the Red Hills
David S. Ingalls on the cover of TIME, 1931
Chemonie was one of the first plantations established by wealthy newcomers to the state in the early 1800's. Hector Braden of Virginia founded Chemonie in the first part of the 1800's. He was a land investor and cotton and sugar cane farmer, and sold Chemonie to his business partner's wife, Mary Wallace Savage Nuttall, a Savannah heiress and a recent widow who owned the nearby El Destino. She had inherited assets enough to buy a second plantation in north Florida. Nuttall remarried to George Noble Jones in 1840.
In the 1940’s, the Ingalls and Ireland families bought tens of thousands of acres of the finest plantations in the Red Hills, including Chemonie, as a joint venture. David Ingalls was the son of railroad magnate Albert S. Ingalls and Jane Taft, niece of President William Howard Taft. He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve Flying Corps and was the Navy’s only flying ace of World War I.
After the War, he returned to finish his studies at Yale and then received an LLD from Harvard. During his long career, he worked as a lawyer, a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, and Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Air) in 1929. Ingalls was a director of Pan Am Airways and publisher of the Cincinnati Times-Star.
Eventually, the Ingalls and Ireland families divided their holdings and the Ingalls held onto Chemonie. Famous hunting stories about the Ingalls and their guests are still shared today.
For the past twenty years Chemonie has been under the stewardship of T. Wayne Davis, Jr. of Jacksonville. Mr. Davis’ grandfather, father, and uncles founded the Florida-based grocery chain now known as Winn Dixie in 1925.