Morton Bray Plantation





Morton Bray Plantation

Location & Maps

Morton Bray Plantation is located in the Tallahassee/Thomasville Plantation Belt near other famous Brooks County plantations such as Talloakas, Okapilco, Brannville, River Bend, Pinion Point, Four Oaks, Kinderlou Forest, Tamathli, Pinckney Hill, Blackwater, Hickory Head & King Place. It is only 35 minutes to the Thomasville airport & only 35 minutes to the commercial airport in Valdosta & 30 min to Valdosta, the 10th largest city in Georgia.

The plantation was established in 1843 by Judge James Morton. He had his choice of almost any land, picked the best piece and forged this property out of the SW Georgia wilderness. With it he became wildly prosperous. He was a leading founder of Quitman, fundamental in bringing in the railroad, forming a bank and becoming a judge. Today, the property is almost completely intact from what he originally founded and his antebellum home is little changed.

He prospered there for 68 years and then the R.N. Bray Company managed it for timber for another 84 years! Today, the plantation stands testament to 165 years of excellent timber, land and wildlife management and is renowned as a recreational hunting and aesthetic paradise. Over 2,000 acres (60%) of the plantation is in native ground cover and natural timber! Located on the Withlacoochee River on the eastern edge of the famous Tallahassee/Thomasville quail belt, it is nearby other famous Brooks County plantations such as Talloakas, Okapilco, Brannville, River Bend, Four Oaks, Pinion Point, Kinderlou Forest, Tamathli, Pinckney Hill, Blackwater, and Hickory Head. Just off US Highway 84, it is a convenient drive to Thomasville and less than 15 minutes to commercial jet service from Valdosta, the 10th largest city in Georgia with all the benefits of the I-75 Corridor.

Click thumbnail below for full-size map

map
Red Hills Map - Morton Bray Plantation

— OVERVIEW —
of Morton Bray Plantation

  • 3,500 +/- total acres Historic Plantation
  • Famous 1850’s Five-Column antebellum Greek Revival home and grounds designed by John Wind English
  • $3,921,853, approximately $1,235 overall per acre, in timber per the 2017 timber estimate
  • One of the largest stands of intact wiregrass & longleaf pin in the Red Hills Region
  • 1 +/- mile on Withlacoochee River
  • 3 +/- miles on Okapilco Creek
  • 1 +/- mile on Piscola Creek
  • 1,600 +/- acres of native groundcover and mature natural pine
  • 1,100 +/- acres of old field ground and merchantable pine
  • 400 +/- acres of exceptionally pristine hardwood bottoms
  • Established in 1843 by Judge James Morton; he prospered there for 68 years then the R.N. Bray Company managed it for 84 years!
  • In the Tallahassee/Thomasville Plantation Belt near other famous Brooks County plantations such as Talloakas, Okapilco, Brannville, River Bend, Pinion Point, Four Oaks, Kinderlou Forest, Tamathli, Pinckney Hill, Blackwater, Hickory Head & King Place.
  • 350 +/- acres of agricultural fields and food plots
  • Record timber value, with one of the most intensively stocked, privately owned stands of natural timber in the southeast
  • Frontage on US HWY 84 & Madison-Quitman Highway
  • Access to amenities, infrastructure, zoning, comparables, river frontage and historical assets gives it enormous higher and better use potential.
  • There is currently no conservation easement in place. This could prove to be one of the most significant conservation easement donations in Red Hills history.
  • Only 30 min to Valdosta & 35 min to commercial airport in Valdosta, the 10th largest city in GA & Only 35 min to the Thomasville Airport
  • One of the most diverse eco-systems on any plantation in the Red Hills

3,500 +/- Acres
Now Available
$3,800 PER ACRE

 

CONTACT

Jon Kohler

Mobile: 850-508-2999
jon@jonkohler.com