Pleasant Hill Plantation



Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill Pleasant Hill


Pleasant Hill Plantation



One of the Finest Plantations in the Lowcountry Featuring over 100 Acres of Duck Impoundments, Quail Woods, a 25+/- acre Lake and a Valuable Hampton & Jasper County, South Carolina Address.

This is One of the Top Properties on the Market in Recent Memory for a Plantation in the 1800 acre range.

History

Pleasant Hill Plantation

Pierre Robert, one of the first Huguenot ministers in the country, was born in St. Imier, Switzerland in 1665 and in 1686 moved to South Carolina, settling in St. James on the Santee River. Pierre traveled throughout the Lowcountry, preaching at various settlements. His descendants acquired lands around the Savannah River and founded the town of Robertville.

Toward the end of the Civil War, General Sherman’s forces burned the Beaufort County Courthouse and later intercepted and burned its records as they were being transported away for safe keeping.

Pleasant Hill Plantation

What is known is that in 1855 John Hancock Robert, Jr. purchased 1840 acres called Pleasant Hill Plantation just north of the town of Robertville from James Tupper, Master. Mr. Tupper was representing the children of Elizabeth Robert Cruger, the daughter of Anne Maner and John Hancock Robert, Sr.

Various sources indicated that there was a “large, grand” house at Pleasant Hill. In 1856 to celebrate the birth of his son Pierre, John Hancock Robert, Jr. planted the oak drives around and in front of the house.

Pleasant Hill Plantation

During the Civil War, the house and contents were burned. According to Robert and Bostick family members, the present home was built in 1890 on the site of the original house. It was said that one of the daughters of John Hancock Robert, Jr., Jennifer M. Jones, who had married and lived in Savannah, Georgia, wanted to come back “home.” She built the house, and a picture of it in its original state hangs in the front hall.

John Hancock Robert, Jr. died in 1897. He was known for his “elegant” home and his “splendid library that for the number and value of his books was not surpassed by that of any other country gentleman.” Robert’s knowledge and counsel was obviously of great use to the Robertville Academy, at one time considered to be one of the finest schools in the state. It was here that his great-nephew Henry Martyn Robert received his early educational training. That Robert entered West Point at the age of 16, and went on to write a 15 page manual of basic parliamentary procedure in 1869. He later revised that manual, and today his manual, “Robert’s Rules of Order” is the standard meeting procedure guide in the world.

Pleasant Hill Plantation

Pleasant Hill was known as a place where “hospitality, intelligence, refinement, morality and religion” abound during the many years it was owned by the Roberts. That tradition has continued. In 1955 Dr. and Mrs. Harrison Lee Peeples purchased Pleasant Hill from the Estate of Dr. Morris of New York, one of the original members of Pineland Club, formerly known as Cotton Hill Plantation. The daughters of Dr. and Mrs. Peeples are the current owners. Nearby properties include The Pineland, Black Swamp, Gravel Hill, Woodstock, Bostick, Woodside, Congaree Club (formerly Davant Plantation), Turkey Hill, Groton, Hoover, and Okeetee.

   

PURCHASE OPTIONS

Pleasant Hill Plantation

Pleasant Hill Campus w/
25 Acre Lake
Click for More Info »
Pleasant Hill Plantation

Pleasant Hill Total Package
Click for More Info »
Pleasant Hill Plantation

Pleasant Hill Campus w/ Lake & “Tara” section
Click for More Info »

— OVERVIEW —
of Pleasant Hill Plantation

  • 1,845 +/- Acre Lowcountry, South Carolina Plantation
  • Historic Property in Hampton & Jasper Counties
  • Less than one hour from Savannah, Georgia and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
  • 100 +/- acres of duck impoundments, contained by 25 acres of dikes
  • Two deep water wells with line shaft pumps driven by three phase electrical power providing plenty of volume to "pump up" the ponds
  • Plantation house circa 1890 with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
  • Newly constructed, state of the art, quail flight pen completed in the Fall of 2014
  • Newly constructed clubhouse completed in the Winter of 2015 with state of the art Thermador appliances and gas Kitchen Aid stove
  • Newly constructed two story "barn" or bunk house in the Winter of 2015 featuring 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen and dining area.
  • 25 +/- acre showplace lake with excellent bass and bream fishing
  • 7 stall horse barn
  • Newly renovated guest cottage with half kitchen and dining area
  • Main equipment barn with Manager's Office/House
  • Located less than 40 miles to Palmetto Bluff in Bluffton, South Carolina
  • Estimated timber value north of $1,220,000
  • Nearby plantations include Pineland, Black Swamp, Gravel Hill, Woodstock, Bostick, Woodside, Davant, Turkey Hill, Groton, Hoover, and Okeetee among others.
  • High population of whitetail deer and eastern wild turkeys and prime early release quail woods
  • Potential annual hunting lease value of duck impoundments north of $100,000 gross
  • 20 miles from the public airport in Ridgeland, SC.
  • There are no conservation easements on the property
  • May be divided

1,845 +/- Acres
Now Available
View Purchase Options

 

CONTACT

CJ Brown

Mobile: 803-480-1260
cj@jonkohler.com
 

Wise Batten, Inc.
Mobile: 803-943-6983
wise@wisebatten.com