Recreational and Working Lands Investment Property with Higher and Better Use
A Super-Charged Timberland Investment!
Durham Woods is approximately 1,000 +/- total acres in Calhoun County, Florida. There are multiple asset classes in this one property. At $2,100 per acre in Florida and only one hour from Tallahassee, it's hard to go wrong.
The property fits our description of Florida "Working Lands" which means it's priced right for wealth accumulation "over and above" Florida's appreciation cycles as it grows a needed commodity, timber.
"Much of the timber is planted on fertile farmland. This combined with a conceptual plan for 42 lots makes this one of the sexiest timberland plays we have seen in a long time." - Jon Kohler
The property is both well stocked with growing timber as well as the current landowner has platted lots for future home sites. A good portion of it is USDA grade farmland, of which the row crops have recently been converted into pine timber by the current owner. This tract was damaged by Hurricane Michael but has been cleaned up and replanted.
There is significant road frontage. There is no current conservation easement so the development potential can still be monetized. The current landowner has platted for future home sites (the draft conceptual plan for the 1,000-acre "Durham Woods" ranchette community consists of approximately 42 ranchettes ranging from 10-247 acres). Having the property already platted allows further monetization through subdivision, as well as enhances the conservation easement value significantly, adding to ROI potential with significant income tax savings. This benefit, combined with the fact that a good portion of this property was formerly in farmland, provides an exceptional timber investment opportunity.
The platted lots won't impact the ability to get Ag exemption but will significantly increase options on how to manage the property over time, including conservation easement opportunities. One hundred percent of this tract is in an opportunity zone. While putting in play the multiple options for future returns, Durham Woods can offer you and your family outdoor fun immediately. The deer and turkey hunting are very good as the property is surrounded by like-minded landowners with agriculture and timber.
It is located just 5 miles to shopping and restaurants in Blountstown, Florida and just one hour to shopping and restaurants in Tallahassee, Florida. It is extremely convenient to Dothan, Alabama (61 miles), Panama City, Florida (49 miles) and Marianna, Florida (24 miles).
This opportunity is essentially "five asset classes in one:"
- A recreational property
- A timber property
- A “higher and better use” property with approvals being obtained for a platted ranchette community.
- A conservation easement play. Given the preplanned ranchette community, this property will appraise well from a development perspective. The development value here is well situated to be monetized through a donation conservation easement providing immediate income tax savings - cutting taxable income by half and spread out up to 16 years.
- A Social Storm Property ™ the type of property one would want to own in either bad times or good. It has vast natural resources and multiple income streams. It’s perhaps the perfect hedge.
***For the site plan for the ranchette community concept, please see the Maps section of this website.
***NOTE, there is an opportunity to purchase another 230 acres, "Creek Ridge," and a 69.06-acre "Timber Hill."
Maps & Location
- 5 miles to Blountstown, FL
- 1 hour to Florida's capital city
- 30 minutes to Marianna, FL
- 49 miles to Panama City, FL
- 61 miles to Dothan, AL