Old Magnolia West
Wakulla County, Florida⁞2861± ACRES
One of the last, large privately held recreational properties with entitled Higher and Better Use within 25 minutes of Tallahassee.
- 2,861+/- acre high-quality recreational and investment property in Wakulla County
- One of the last, large privately held recreational properties with entitled higher and better use
- Exceptional “Higher and Better Use”
- Just 25 minutes to Tallahassee
- Over 1,000 square miles of State and Federal lands making this one of the last large subdivision opportunities in the region
- 1,621 +/- acres fully platted and entitled lots, Turkey Ridge Farms, which contains 33 lots
- Cash flow revenues:
- Heavily stocked with genetically improved timber for cash flow
- Located in one of the best timber growing areas in the South
- Multiple conservation easement opportunities to harvest HBU potential
- Lodge, cabin and two barns
- Ideal Social Storm Property ™ with vast natural resources, and multiple income streams
- Fantastic recreation:
- One of the prominent deer and wild turkey areas of the South
- Minutes to some of the best saltwater fishing in Florida
- 25 minutes from Florida's capital city
- Moments from public boat launch to access the Gulf, marinas, and restaurants
- Strategically planned for timber, recreation, and “higher and better use”
- The Gulf of Mexico is just a ten minute drive making this a year-round recreational get away
If you’re looking for a safe place to store wealth, capitalize on growth through a conservation easement, or looking for a generational property, this is it! The property has been strategically planned for timber, recreation and “higher and better use.”
** Video encompasses Old Magnolia East and Old Magnolia West
At 2,861+/- acres in Wakulla County, this property is one of the last large privately held properties with “HBU” potential in the region. The property has been strategically planned for timber, recreation and “higher and better use.” It is arguably impossible to find another large investment-grade property as strategically planned and entitled as this one.
It is renowned in the region as the former log cabin office of St. Joe and a key holding in the region with two+ miles of HWY frontage on 267 and three miles on Old Plank Road, just off Coastal Highway 98. The northern boundaries are planned PUD’s with sewer and water. Of the 2,861 acres, this property has 1,621 +/- acres fully platted and entitled lots, Turkey Ridge Farms, which contains 33 lots ranging from 23 acres to 100 acres each. The landowner is consistently selling 20-acre lots across the highway for $8,000 to $8,500 per acre. This development value could very well be monetized today with a conservation easement.
However, it is being used for timber production and recreation. The property is heavily stocked with genetically improved timber for cash flow and the hunting and recreation are exceptional. Located just 25 minutes from Tallahassee and its international airport with the Gulf of Mexico just a ten-minute drive, Old Magnolia West is a year-round recreational get away. There is a public boat ramp just 2 minutes away with a 10-minute boat ride to the Gulf and another ramp actually on the Gulf that is a 10-minute car drive from the property. All the comforts and conveniences of Shield’s Marina are just 10 minutes away as well.
“Recreationally, from a deer and turkey perspective, it’s about as good as it gets in Florida outside of a high-fence. From an investment perspective, the property is preplanned for “higher and better use” with 1,621+ acres already fully platted. From a cash flow perspective, it offers many revenue avenues: timber revenues, existing residential lots could be sold or expanded, or a conservation easement could be sold or donated to harvest its exceptional “higher and better use” potential.” - Jon Kohler
This opportunity is essentially “five asset classes in one.”
- An exceptional recreational property in one of the most prolific deer and wild turkey areas. There is quick and convenient access to the Gulf of Mexico making this a year-round property.
- An exceptional timber property, fully planted with genetically improved pines, a high site index, with exceptional roads in one of the South’s best timber-growing regions.
- It’s an exceptional “higher and better use” property with 1,621 acres platted in fast-growing Wakulla County, just 25 miles to Tallahassee and ten minutes to the Gulf (1,621 +/- acres fully platted and entitled lots, Turkey Ridge Farms, which contains 33 lots ranging from 23 acres to 100 acres each). Over 1,000 square miles of almost contiguous State and Federal lands nearby means there is little left for Florida’s growth.
- It is an exceptional conservation easement play. Given the rapid lot sales in Wakulla County, along with the existing 1,621 acres of platted lots, and current sales literally across the street, this 2,861 acres will appraise exceptionally well from a development perspective. The development value here is well situated to be monetized through a donation or sale of conservation easement providing immediate cash or income tax savings. There are also options with DEP acquiring part of the property through sale.
- This is an ideal Social Storm Property ™ and exactly the type of property one would want to own in either bad times or good. It has vast natural resources, and multiple income streams, is surrounded by 1,000 square miles of federal and state lands, and is located in one of the safest areas left in America. It’s perhaps the perfect hedge. Its Social Storm ™ score is exceptional.
“To me, this opportunity reminds me of the story of many of our clients who owned great central Florida ranches that, too, were in the path of “progress.” They eventually sold for unbelievable fortunes, some sold conservation easements and raised cattle to pay the costs during the hold, but in the end, it was a financial windfall with real estate values that no one could have predicted. This is Florida. There isn’t a better way to transfer generational wealth." - Jon Kohler
“The conservation easement value here is real. Development is already happening along the north property line. The lots here are fully vested. The seller has been selling some non-contiguous lots in the $8,500+ acre range. The opportunity is here now to monetize this value." - Jon Kohler
Blue Sink is on the property, which connects directly to Wakulla Springs, the largest spring in the world. The deer and turkey hunting is exceptional. Lodging is generous on this large property with a log cabin, the former St. Joe office, and barn on the southwestern corner off Hwy 98 as well as another hunting camp and barns on the eastern side of Old Plank Road.
On the south side of this property lies what was once Florida’s 2nd largest city, Newport - a seaport with cotton, turpentine, grist, and sawmills, once the epicenter of international commerce. Tragically, it was burned by the Confederates during the Battle of Natural Bridge… the town was never rebuilt. It’s unbelievable that in 2023, just 25 miles from Tallahassee, this area and the nearby St. Marks River once served, not one, but two port cities - including Old Magnolia that was located on what is now Old Magnolia West. These lands that were once the international “gateway to Florida” have completely reverted back to nature. It looks almost exactly like it did when Florida’s first Governor anchored here 500 years ago; it’s beautiful beyond belief.
"Florida's last best places are going quickly. If you told me there was a tract like this available in today's Florida, well in the path of growth, with highway frontage for less than $3,000 overall per acre and only 25 minutes from the steps of the Florida capital, I wouldn't believe it." - Jon Kohler
“It offers me just a sense of being back to the things that matter to me. It's just me, family, land and traditions.” - Tony Layne, Landowner
Between timber harvesting, to selling already platted lots (which are commanding $8,500 per acre), to selling or donating a conservation easement on all or a portion of this property, there are numerous income opportunities during the hold. Furthermore, with the Social Storm Properties ™ aspect, this property is about as hedged as a place could be and will perform in any market.
“What the landowner has done here is impressive. From a recreational standpoint alone, this land package is a rare find, but with development plans at your fingertips, and income production from future timber harvesting, this place is equal parts pleasure and equal parts smart investing.” - Jon Kohler
“This property reminds me how creative site planning could yield dividends; at Centerville Conservation Community I bought 975 acres for $15,000 per acre in 2004, put 70% of it under conservation easement, and developed only 200 lots - today that same land is worth over $40,000 per acre. Another interesting note is in 2006, I made an unsolicited offer for El Destino Plantation’s 4,000 acres at $15,000 per acre. It was rejected but shows where the highs were and in Florida where they will return to as they always have in the past. It is located a little over 12 miles from Tallahassee. Today’s property is a little over 14 miles. This property has the same win-win opportunities between conservation and meeting investment-backed expectations.” - Jon Kohler
*** An additional 1,803 acres Featuring 4.5 Miles of Deep-Water River Frontage on the St. Marks River, Gulf access and a 2nd Magnitude Spring are also Available!
The Kohler & Associate’s
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Or want to discuss the market with the Leader in this niche?
Contact us to discuss one of our properties, for information on properties that are not yet released to the market or to discuss the market.