Wilson-Finlay Home circa 1846
Clarke County, Alabama⁞223± ACRES
Magnificently Restored Greek Revival House residing on 223 acres in Gainestown, Alabama. A Rare Opportunity to own an Alabama treasure!
- Historic Plantation Home in Gainestown, Alabama residing on 223+/- acres of recreational timberland
- Located 17 miles southeast of Jackson, AL & 3 miles from the Alabama River
- 4320 SF Historic Greek Revival Style architecture built circa 1846 with 5 BR/3 BA
- Renovated in 1990 with an addition of the back porch along with new plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, & insulation between the walls.
- 14' Ceilings
- Heart Pine Flooring
- Original doors & windows
- Swimming pool with outhouse & garden
- 1368 SF Gainestown School House circa 1919
- Addition in 1930 and restored with electricity and water in 2000
- Converted to a guesthouse with two open rooms and 1 Bathroom
- Spectacular views of manicured grounds and moss-draped live oaks lining the oval drive
- Historic Hay barn
- Equipment Barn
- 40 acre fenced pasture
- 140 acres managed pine plantation
- 40 acres old growth hardwood
- 1 acre stocked pond with another great homesite
- Internal roads
- Exceptional hunting, fishing, and recreational opportunities
- The sale includes the antique furniture & equipment
- Proudly added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976
Wilson-Finlay Home circa 1846
Welcome to your chance to own a piece of Alabama history! This magnificent Antebellum home, built circa 1846 for physician, politician, and planter Joshua Wilson, is now on the market for the first time in 50 years. Located in Gainestown, AL on a sprawling 223-acres with beautiful live oaks, rolling pastures, and managed pine timber, this property is a true gem.
As you approach the two-story Greek Revival style house, you'll be struck by its grandeur and historical charm. The limestone foundations and front columns are not only visually stunning but also boast marine fossils that were quarried locally on the Alabama River. The lumber used to construct the house was rafted up the Alabama River from Mobile and construction took over 5 years to complete, a true testament to the craftsmanship and dedication of its builders. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Inside the house, you'll find 4320 sf of spacious rooms with 14’ tall ceilings, wide plank heart pine floors, and an abundance of natural light. There are 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom downstairs and 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms upstairs. The house has been well maintained and underwent major renovations around 1990, years after the Finlay’s purchased the property in 1972. The renovations included an addition off the back of house adding the porch with living space above it. It also included a swimming pool, new electrical, plumbing, replacement of all plaster with sheetrock, insulation between the walls, and much more. Much of the furniture is included in the sale.
One of the highlights of the property is the old Gainestown schoolhouse, built in 1919. The last classes held at the schoolhouse were in the 1950’s and adds to the charm of the property and serves as a reminder of its rich history. The schoolhouse was renovated around 2000, adding sheetrock, electrical, plumbing, and was converted to a guest house. There are several outbuildings including a hay barn, equipment shed, log cabin playhouse, and more. Included in the sale is a tractor, zero turn lawn mower, and multiple implements used for managing the property.
The grounds surrounding the house are breathtaking; live oaks lining the driveway, azaleas, rolling pastures, and old growth hardwoods resembling that of a picturesque park.
Every time I pull into this property, it hits me. There's a true sense of place that you can feel when you're here. That calming feeling when you enter a property is not a common thing, yet it's here, and it's available for the first time in 50 years! - Tim James, Jr.
There is no better location to gather for holidays and family gatherings with ample year around activities including hunting, hiking, trail riding, swimming, or fishing in the 1 acre stocked pond.
The make-up of the land is approximately 173 forested acres of managed pine plantation and mature hardwood with approximately 50 acres in pastureland.
This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of history in Gainestown, Alabama. With its rich historical significance, beautiful surroundings, and very unique offering, this property is sure to attract a wide range of buyers. Don't miss out on this chance to own a true Southern gem!
The Kohler & Associate’s
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Or want to discuss the market with the Leader in this niche?
Contact us to discuss one of our properties, for information on properties that are not yet released to the market or to discuss the market.